The Circle of Intimates
The Circle of intimates (in Russian : Ближний круг , in English : The Inner Circle ) is a film of Andreï Kontchalovski in coproduction Italian-American-Soviet released in 1991 and 1992 in France. The film is based on a true story.
KGB film projectionist Ivan Sanchine was one day taken to the Kremlin to screen films for Stalin himself and his friends, such as Beria and Molotov . Ivan becomes the projectionist of Stalin, from 1939 to 1953 .
He lives with his wife in a neighborhood where there are regular arrests. His wife Anastasia thus collects a Jewish girl whose parents were arrested. Ivan has to hide it to avoid problems.
- Tom Hulce : Ivan Sanchine (voice: Yevgeny Mironov )
- Lolita Davidovich : Anastasia, Ivan’s wife
- Bob Hoskins : Beria
- Aleksandr Zbruyev : Stalin
- Fédor Chaliapine Jr .: Professor Bartnev
- Bess Meyer : Katya at 16
- Aleksandre Filippenko : Major Khitrov
- Vsevolod Larionov : General Roumiantsev
- Mikhail Kononov : Kliment Voroshilov
- Oleg Tabakov : Vlassik
- Viktor Uralsky (ru) : Mikhail Kalinin
- Viktor Balabanov (ru) : Vyacheslav Molotov
- Aleksandre Feklistov (ru) : Ivan Bolchakov
- Maria Vinogradova (ru) : Fedossia
- Evdokia Guermanova : educator in the orphanage
- Irina Kupchenko : Director
- Vladimir Kulechov (ru) : Colonel Shchelkasov
- Vladimir Steklov (ru) : Khrustaliov
- Aleksandre Pachutine (ru) : conductor
- Sergei Artsibachev (ru) : Officer of the NKVD
- Aleksandre Sirine (ru) : Voronkin
- Liubov Matiouchina (ru) : Sonia Gubelman
- Vladimir Episkoposyan (ru) : Beria Guard
- Scenario: Andrei Konchalovski and Anatoly Usov
- Music: Edouard Artemyev
- Image: Ennio Guarnieri
- Editing: Henry Richardson
- Duration: 137 minutes
The film was nominated at the Berlinale of 1992.