Everest is anAmerican-Icelandic-Britishadventure filmdirected byBaltasar Kormákur, released in2015.
This is not the adaptation of Jon Krakauer’s Tragedy to Everest ( Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster ) , published in 1997, but that of Dr. Beck Weathers’ memoirs.
In 1996 , two expeditions on Everest faced one of the most severe snowstorms in history as they descended from the summit. Struggling against the extreme severity of the elements, the courage of climbers is challenged by obstacles that are always more difficult to overcome, as their dream of a lifetime is transformed into a fierce fight for their salvation.
Unless otherwise stated or supplemented, the information mentioned in this section can be confirmed by the IMDb database .
- Original title: Everest
- Director: Baltasar Kormákur
- Scenario: Simon Beaufoy and William Nicholson , from Tragedy at Everest by Jon Krakauer
- Artistic direction: Alessandro Santucci
- Sets: Gary Freeman
- Costumes: Guy Speranza
- Editing: Mick Audsley
- Music: Dario Marianelli
- Photography: Salvatore Totino
- Production: Tim Bevan , Liza Chasin, Eric Fellner , Evan Hayes, Brian Oliver and Tyler Thompson
- Production Companies: Cross Creek Pictures, Universal Pictures , Walden Media, Free State Pictures, RVK Studios and Working Title Films
- Distribution Companies: Universal Pictures (United States, United Kingdom), Universal Pictures International France (France)
- Budget: 65 million dollars 1
- Country of Origin: United States , United Kingdom , Iceland
- Original language: English
- Format: color – 35 mm – 2.35: 1 – its Dolby Digital
- Genre: Adventure Movie
- Duration: 120 minutes
- Release dates 2 :
- Italy :( Venice Film Festival )
- United States :
- Belgium , France , French-speaking Switzerland :
- Jason Clarke ( VF : Jochen Haegele , VQ : François Trudel ) : Rob Hall
- Jake Gyllenhaal ( VF : Rémi Bichet , VQ : Guillaume Champoux ) : Scott Fischer
- Josh Brolin ( VF : Philippe Vincent , VQ : Jean-Luc Montminy ) : Beck Weathers (en)
- John Hawkes ( VF : Emmanuel Karsen , VQ : Alain Zouvi ) : Doug Hansen
- Robin Wright ( VF : Juliette Degenne , VQ : Nathalie Coupal ) : Peach Weathers
- Emily Watson ( VF : Isabelle Gardien , VQ : Lisette Dufour ) : Helen Wilton
- Michael Kelly ( VF : Arnaud Arbessier, VQ : Pierre Auger ) : Jon Krakauer
- Keira Knightley ( VF : Sybille Tureau , VQ : Catherine Sénart ) : Jan Arnold
- Sam Worthington ( VF : Adrien Antoine , VQ : Yves Soutière ) : Guy Cotter
- Martin Henderson ( VF : Damien Ferrette , VQ : Antoine Durand ) : Andy “Harold” Harris (en)
- Elizabeth Debicki ( VF : Deborah Perret ; VQ : Laurence Dauphinais ) : D r Caroline Mackenzie
- Ingvar E. Sigurðsson ( VF : Miglen Mirtchev , VQ : Stéphane Rivard ) : Anatoli Boukreev
- Thomas M. Wright ( VF : Jean-Pol Brissard , VQ : Christian Perrault ) : Michael “Mike” Groom (en)
- Mark Derwin ( VF : Yann Guillemot ; DV : Pierre-Étienne Rouillard ) : Lou Kasischke
- Demetri Goritsas ( VQ : Denis Roy ) : Stuart Hutchison
- Ang Phula Sherpa ( VQ : Hugolin Chevrette-Landesque ) : Ang Dorjee
- Tom Goodman-Hill ( VF : Loïc Houdré , VQ : Philippe Martin ) : Neal Beidleman
- Naoko Mori ( VQ : Manon Arsenault ) : Yasuko Namba
- Mia Goth : Meg Weathers
- Stormur Jon Kormakur Baltasarsson : Bub Weathers
- Chike Chan : Makalu Gau (en)
- Micah Hauptman : David Breashears
- Clive Standen : Ed Viesturs
- Nancy Baldwin : Janie
- Lucy Newman-Williams : Linda
- Vijay Lama : Colonel Madan
- Charlotte Bøving : Lene Gammelgaard (en)
- Pemba Sherpa ( VQ : Louis-Philippe Berthiaume ) : Lopsang
- Justin Salinger ( VF : Bertrand Liebert , VQ : Sébastien Dhavernas ) : Ian Woodall
- Amy Shindler : Charlotte Fox
- Simon Harrison ( VF : Yann Guillemot ) : Tim Madsen
- Chris Reilly : Klev Schoening
- Tim Dantay ( VQ : Jean-François Blanchard ) : John Taske
- Todd Boyce : Frank Fischbeck
- Vanessa Kirby ( VQ : Ariane-Li Simard-Côté ) : Sandy Hill Pittman (en)
- Source and legend : French version ( VF ) on RS Dubbing 3 , AlloDoublage 4 and according to the French dubbing carton ; Quebec version (VQ) on Doublage.qc.ca 5 .
Genesis and development
The scenario is based on the autobiographical book Left for dead on Everest ( Left for Dead: My Journey Home from Everest ) written by Beck Weathers and published in 2000 . He goes back to a disaster that occurred in May 1996 on Everest .
Distribution of roles
The role of Rob Hall was originally to be held by Christian Bale , but he left the project to turn in Exodus: Gods and Kings of Ridley Scott . He will be replaced by the Australian Jason Clarke 1 .
Most of the actors have undergone specific training. Jake Gyllenhaal reports that he did a simulated altitude test at 9,000 meters with Josh Brolin : “We did an altitude test at 9,000 metersfor ten minutes in a box and Josh and I decided to stay longer. long time. We thought we could bear it because we felt good. We were joking about the fact that it was not so bad when all of a sudden we got out and we immediately felt nauseated. During the next ten minutes, we went from a fairly happy state to a deep sadness: it made us understand the powerful effects of altitude on the mind ” 1 .
The filming began on6 in Val Senales, Italy , Nepal and the Buckinghamshire studio, England , UK 7 .
Mountaineer Guy Cotter, played by Sam Worthington in the film, was a consultant during the shoot. At the time of the events of 1996, he was coordinator of the relief. He explains: “For us, in the mountain guide community, these events taught us a lot. We had a lot of questions afterwards so that this tragedy could never happen again. In a way, it has allowed us to evolve as a profession. Rob was at the peak of his career. But we were at the beginning of the profession of high mountain guide in the Himalayas and sometimes the pioneers do not survive the discovery of the parameters of their environment ” 1 .
Around the film
The Misadventures of Jon Krakauer had already been told in the TV movie Death on top of the world of Robert Markowitz broadcast in 1997 1 .
The 3D version of the film is dedicated to Natasha Richardson .
The film opening the 72 th Venice Film Festival on. Two days later he also made the opening of the 41 th Festival of Deauville 8 .
- Screen Actors Guild Awards 2016 : best stunt team
Notes and references
- ↑ a , b , c , d , e , f and g ” Secrets of filming ” [ archive ] , on Allociné (accessed September 6, 2015 )
- ↑ (en) Release dates [ archive ] on the Internet Movie Database
- ↑ ” French dubbing sheet of the film ” [ archive ] , on RS Dubbing ,.
- ↑ ” French dubbing sheet of the film ” [ archive ] , on AlloDoublage ,.
- ↑ ” Quebec dubbing sheet of the movie ” [ archive ] , on Doublage.qc.ca (accessed on 8 January 2016 )
- ↑ “Start date of filming” [ archive ] on IMDb , accessed March 6, 2014
- ↑ “Filming locations” [ archive ] on IMDb , accessed March 6, 2014
- ↑ Deauville Festival 2015: Everest opening, Sicario closing [ archive ]