From Hell (or Released from hell inQuebec) is athriller Americandirected byAlbert and Allen Hughes, released in2001. It is the adaptation of acomic stripofAlan MooreandEddie Campbell, which received the price of the criticism inAngoulêmein2001.
London , 1888 . In the ill-fated streets of Whitechapel , Jack the Ripper prowls around. Surprisingly, the serial killer stuffs prostitutes as soon as it gets dark.
Then enter the scene Inspector Fred Abberline. This Scotland Yard agent quickly understands that the crimes are the result of an elaborate staging and involve an artist’s “fingering”, a foolproofness and a solid knowledge of anatomy. Abberline, intuitive and visionary, patiently paints the profile of this exceptional murderer and manages to gain the trust of Mary Kelly, a young prostitute who will help him solve this perilous investigation at the risk of his life.
- Title: From Hell
- Quebec title: Out of Hell
- Director: Albert and Allen Hughes
- Scenario: Terry Hayes and Rafael Yglesias based on the graphic novel written by Alan Moore and designed by Eddie Campbell
- Sets: Martin Childs
- Costumes: Kym Barrett
- Photography: Peter Deming
- Editing: George Bowers and Dan Lebental
- Music: Trevor Jones
- Budget: $ 35 million 1
- Original language: English
- Format: Color – its Dolby Digital – 2.35: 1 – 35 mm
- Genres: horror , detective , thriller
- Duration: 117 minutes
- Release dates:
- United States :October 19, 2001
- France :
- United States :Rated R(Minors (17 years old and under) must be accompanied by an adult)
- France : Forbidden to children under 12 when it is released in cinemas
- Johnny Depp (VF: Bruno Choël ) : Inspector Fred Abberline
- Heather Graham (VF: Sylvie Jacob ) : Mary Kelly
- Ian Holm (VF: Bernard Dheran ) : Sir William Gull / Jack the Ripper
- Robbie Coltrane (VF: Sylvain Lemarie ) : Sergeant Peter Godley
- Ian Richardson (VF: Pierre Dourlens ) : Sir Charles Warren
- Jason Flemyng : Netley, the coachman
- Sophia Myles : Victoria Abberline
- Annabelle Apsion : Mary Ann “Polly” Nicholls
- Katrin Cartlidge : Annie “Dark Annie” Chapman
- Estelle Skornik : Ada
- Joanna Page (FW: Caroline Victoria ) : Ann Crook
- David Schofield : McQueen
- Terence Harvey : Benjamin ‘Ben’ Kidney
- Ralph Ineson : Gordie
Around the film
- Daniel Day-Lewis was the first choice to play Inspector Fred Abberline. Sean Connery , Jude Law and Brad Pitt were also solicited.
- For the role of Sir William Gull , the first choice was Nigel Hawthorne but he died as a result of cancer.
The film was a moderate commercial success, earning approximately 74,558,000 $ at the box office worldwide, of which 31,602,000 $ in North America , with a budget of 35 million $ 2 . In France , he realized 824 189 entries 3 .
It received a mixed critical reception, garnering 57% of positive reviews, with an average rating of 5.7 / 10 and based on 150 reviews collected, on the Rotten Tomatoes 4 aggregator site . On Metacritic , he scores 54/100 on the basis of 32 critics collected 5 .
He was nominated for the Bram Stoker Award for Best Screenplay, the Satellite Award for Best Costumes, and in 3 categories at the 2002 Saturn Awards : Best Horror Film, Best Actor ( Johnny Depp ) and Best Costume 6 .
- (In) From Hell [ archive ] on the Internet Movie Database
- From Hell [ archive ] on Allociné
Notes and references
- ↑ From Hell [ archive ] on The Numbers.
- ↑ From Hell [ archive ] on Box Office Mojo .
- ↑ From Hell [ archive ] on JP’s box office.
- ↑ From Hell [ archive ] on Rotten Tomatoes .
- ↑ From Hell [ archive ] on Metacritic .
- ↑ Awards for From Hell ‘ [ archive ] on IMDb.