K-19: The Trap of the Deep , or K-19: Terror Under the Sea in Quebec ( K-19: The Widowmaker ) is a Kathryn Bigelow moviereleased in 2002 and inspired by real events.
In 1961, the Americans placed their missile-launching nuclear submarines within range of Moscow and Leningrad . To counter this threat, the Soviet Navy completes the construction of the submarine K-19 , first nuclear powered submarine missile launches from the Soviet Union of class Hotel . The commander Mikhail Polenine ( Liam Neeson ) being considered too lax and too close to his men in relation to the interests of the Communist Party , he is demoted second in command and replaced at the command post by the commander Alexei Vostrikov ( Harrison Ford), reputed harder and more ideologue.
The ship sails under difficult conditions: nine workers and the ship’s doctor died during the construction, the technical problems are not all resolved and the team in charge of the nuclear reactor does not have the right combinations to intervene in case of problem. After conducting a series of challenging exercises, Captain Vostrikov surfaced in the Arctic Circle and launched a non-nuclear-powered missile to prove to the Americans that the two countries are now on one foot. equality.
Congratulating the crew of this success, the staff of the Soviet Navy ordered the K-19 to perform a “missile permanence” off the east coast of the United States , within reach of New York and Washington, DC . But while the submarine is under way, a refrigerant leak occurs in the confined zone of the nuclear reactor n o 2. Six men will then take turns over the confined area to bring some of the 30 tons of fresh water on board and thus bring down the temperature of the heart (which is then 975 ° C). They will drop the temperature but will be seriously irradiated, the store of the naval base not having provided the good combinations of protection.
The submarine then turns towards the USSR and is spotted by an escort of the US Navy who decides to follow him without attacking. It is then that the leak resumes in the reactor compartment. During a dive, which could be the ultimate, the head of the confined area, Lieutenant Vadim Radchenko ( Peter Sarsgaard ), then enters and repairs the leak. He succeeds but will be fatally irradiated. The temperature drops again and the sailors are collected by another Soviet submarine, come to the aid of the unfortunate K-19 , and they return to the ground.
Captain Vostrikov then passes to the military justice, but is finally acquitted. The film ends in 1989 , the very day of the fall of the Berlin Wall . All the survivors, Captains Vostrikov and Polenin included, then found themselves in a Moscow cemetery to mourn their dead, which was forbidden until then by the oath to keep silent on this case.
- Original title: K-19: The Widowmaker
- French title: K-19: The trap of the depths
- Quebec title: K-19: Terror under the sea
- Director: Kathryn Bigelow
- Script: Louis Nowra (in) , Christopher Kyle
- Photography: Jeff Cronenweth
- Editing: Walter Murch
- Music: Klaus Badelt
- Additional music: Ramin Djawadi , Blake Neely and Geoff Zanelli
- Production: Kathryn Bigelow , Edward S.Feldman and Christine Whitaker
- Executive Producer: Harrison Ford
- Distribution Company: Paramount Pictures
- Budget: ~ $ 100,000,000
- Language: English, Russian
- Format: Colors – 2.35: 1 – 35 mm – Dolby sound
- Genre: Action
- Duration: 138 min
- Release dates 1 : United States : ; la France
- Caption : French Version = VF 2 and Version Québécoise = VQ 3
- Harrison Ford (VF: Richard Darbois and VQ: Mario Desmarais ) : Captain Alexei Vostrikov, Commander K-19
- Liam Neeson (VF: Daniel Beretta and VQ: Eric Gaudry ) : Captain Mikhail Polenin, second in command of K-19
- Peter Sarsgaard (VF: Damien Boisseau and VQ: Patrice Dubois ) : Lieutenant Vadim Ratchenko, Reactor Head
- Christian Camargo : Pavel, assigned to the reactor slice
- Ingvar E. Sigurðsson : Gorelov, Chief Engineer
- Joss Ackland (VQ: Yves Massicotte ) : Marshal Zelentsov
- Shaun Benson : Leonid Pashinski
- Tygh Runyan : Maxim Portenko
- Ravil Isyanov (VQ: Jacques Lavallée ) : Suslov, Political Commissioner of K-19
- George Anton (VQ: Alain Sauvage ) : Konstantin Poliansky
- Steve Nicolson (VQ Marc Bellier ) : Yuri Demichev
- John Shrapnel (VF: Gérard Dessalles and VQ: Hubert Gagnon ) : Admiral Bratyeev
- Lev Prygunov (VQ: Jacques Brouillet ) : Ivan Vershinin
- Donald Sumpter (VQ: Jean-Marie Moncelet ) : D r . Gennadi Savran
Notes and references
- ↑ (in) K-19: The Trap of the Deep [ archive ] on the Internet Movie Database
- ↑ ” French dubbing sheet of the film ” [ archive ] , on Voxofilm
- ↑ “Quebec dubbing sheet of the film” [ archive ] on Doublage Québec , accessed on