Romulus and Remus ( Romolo e Remo ) is a Franco – Italian peplum directed by Sergio Corbucci and released in 1961 .
Italy in 773 BC J. – C .: pursued by horsemen, a vestal entrusts its twins to the chance of the river; a she-wolf collects them, the shepherd Faustulus raises them. Twenty years later, brothers Romulus and Remus come to Albe la Longue for the Lupercal day . They succeed in their project of flying horses, but Romulus also removes the blonde Julia, the daughter of the king of Sabines .
Having learned from Faustulus his royal and divine origin, Remus took command of the band of robbers, and marched on Albe. They destroy Albe la Longue, and set out to found a new city, pursued by the king of the Sabines.
- Original title: Romolo e Remo
- Director: Sergio Corbucci , assisted by Franco Giraldi
- Scenario: Sergio Corbucci , Sergio Leone , Adriano Bolzoni , Ennio De Concini , Luciano Martino , Sergio Prosperi , Franco Rossetti , Duccio Tessari freely inspired by the Roman historian Titus Live
- Music: Piero Piccioni
- Director of photography: Enzo Barboni , Dario Di Palma
- Sets: Saverio d ‘Eugénio
- Costume: Cesare Rovatti
- Special effects: Lamberto Verde
- Country of origin: Italy , France
- Filming language: Italian
- Production: Tonino Cervi , Alessandro Jacovoni
- Production Companies: Ajace Produzioni Cinematografiche, SGC, Pathé , Titanus
- Distribution companies: Pathé Distribution
- Format: color by Eastmancolor – 35mm – 2.35: 1 CinemaScope – monophonic
- Genre: peplum
- Duration: 105 minutes
- Release date: Italy ,
- Steve Reeves ( VF : Michel Cogoni ) : Romulus
- Gordon Scott (VF: Jean-Claude Michel ) : Remus
- Jacques Sernas (VF: Bernard Woringer ) : Curtius
- Virna Lisi (VF: Jacqueline Porel ) : Julia
- Massimo Girotti (VF: René Arrieu ) : Titus Tatius
- Ornella Vanoni (VF: Nadine Alari ) : Tarpeia
- Franco Balducci (VF: Claude Joseph ) : Acilius
- Franco Volpi (VF: Yves Brainville ) : Amulius
- Andrea Bosic (VF: William Sabatier ) : Faustulus
- Gianni Musy Glori (VF: Jacques Thébault ) : Fabius Celere, the archer with Romulus
- Inger Milton ( Inge Nystrom ) (VF: Janine Freson ) : Sira
- Bruno Tocci : Pristinus, Titus officer
- Nando Angelini : Acrone
- Enrico Glori ( VF : Claude Peran ) : Old man, citizen of Alba
- Germano Longo ( VF : Claude Bertrand ) : Servius
- Mimmo Poli ( VF : Richard Francoeur ) : A spectator at the games
- Giovanni Cianfriglia : Man whipping with thong
- Roland Menard : Narrator
- and with the voices of Jacques Deschamps , Henri Djanik , Raymond Rognoni
Around the film
Recounting the elements of traditional history and encamping the characters from an original angle, Sergio Corbucci makes Romulus a sentimental and conciliatory man, Remus an ambitious energetic, and the brunette Tarpéia a lover with a tragic destiny.
- The article Romulus and Remus retraces the history of these characters, as Roman historians have transmitted to us.
- The article Foundation of Rome exposes the traditions and archaeological elements relating to the founding of Rome.