Space Cowboys or The Space Pioneers in Quebec is an American – Australian film directed by Clint Eastwood , released in 2000 .
Francis “Frank” D. Corvin, William “Hawk” Hawkins, Jerry O’Neill and Tank Sullivan were members of the Daedalus Project, the US Air Force’s test program for space exploration. Their hopes for space travel collapsed in 1958 with the creation of NASA, where the Daedalus team was replaced by a small chimpanzee. Today retired, they negotiate their return when the Russian communications satellite Ikon, in which is a control module designed by Frank Corvin, changes its trajectory and threatens to crash on Earth …
- French and original title: Space Cowboys
- Quebec title: Space Pioneers
- Director: Clint Eastwood
- Scenario: Ken Kaufman and Howard Klausner (en)
- Original Music: Lennie Niehaus
- Director of Photography: Jack N. Green
- Artistic Director: Jack G. Taylor Jr.
- Editing: Joel Cox
- Producers: Clint Eastwood , Andrew Lazar and Tom Rooker
- Production Companies: Warner Bros. , Malpaso Productions , Clipsal Movies , Mad Chance , Village Roadshow Pictures
- Distribution: Warner Bros.
- Duration: 130 minutes
- Genre: drama , space adventure 1
- Country of Origin: United States , Australia
- Budget: 65 million of dollars 2
- Release dates 3 :
- United States :
- France :
- Clint Eastwood (VF: Hervé Jolly and VQ: Hubert Fielden ) : Colonel Francis “Frank” Corvin
- Tommy Lee Jones (VF: Claude Giraud and VQ: Eric Gaudry ) : Colonel William “Hawk” Hawkins
- Donald Sutherland (VF: Léon Dony and VQ: Denis Mercier ) : Captain Jerry O’Neill
- James Garner (VF: Georges Berthomieu and VQ: Vincent Davy ) : Captain Tank Sullivan
- James Cromwell (VF: Michel Ruhl and VQ: Claude Préfontaine ) : Bob Gerson
- Marcia Gay Harden (VF: Brigitte Berges and VQ: Élise Bertrand ) : Sara Holland
- William Devane (VF: Patrick Messe and VQ: Raymond Bouchard ) : Eugene “Gene” Davis
- Barbara Babcock : Barbara Corvin
- Toby Stephens : Franck, young
- Eli Craig : Hawk, young
- John Mallory Asher : Jerry, young
- Matt McColm : Tank, young
- Billie Worley (en) : Gerson, young
- Loren Dean (VF: Olivier Cordina) : Ethan Glance
- Courtney B. Vance (VQ: Benoit Rousseau ) : Roger Hines
- Rade Šerbedžija (VF: Yves Barsacq and VQ: Yves Massicotte ) : General Vostov
- Sources and legend : French version (VF) on RS Dubbing 4 and VoxoFilm 5 ; Version Québécoise (VQ)
Note : The French Blu-ray contains dubbing Quebecois.
Clint Eastwood wanted here to pay homage to pioneers of modern aviation like Chuck Yeager , who could not take part in the space conquest 6 . The project was set up with the help of NASA , as the director explains: “I wanted the film to be perfectly credible. We needed the active support of NASA to reproduce the exact circumstances of the launch. It is a complex process that requires careful planning and coordination. Its simulation for the needs of a shoot is probably still a little more difficult, but the agency has given itself thoroughly. The result has filled me 6 . ”
The filming starts in July 1999 and lasts three months 7 . Scenes are shot at space center Lyndon B. Johnson in Houston , the Kennedy Space Center in Merritt Island and on the base of Cape Canaveral launch in Florida 7 .
The interior scenes cockpits, flight simulators and control work are turned to Warner Brothers Burbank Studios in Burbank in California 7 .
To create the weightlessness on the screen, the film team has opted for various rather original methods. Tommy Lee Jones explains, “We used every trick we could imagine. We were harnessed and hung on the ceiling, we were pushed on stools with wheels, we have been flying in the air various objects hanging from translucent ropes, etc. All these mechanical processes, combined with an abundance of camera movements, have “made the joke” in 80% of cases. ” For the rest, the team has used the digital special effects for Industrial Light & Magic as well as scale models 6 .
- United States , Canada : $ 90,464,773 2
- World : $ 128,884,132 2
- France : 962,041 entries 8
Space Cowboys is a commercial success with $ 128.9 million in worldwide revenue, including $ 90.5 million in the United States alone, more than the total revenue of Clint Eastwood’s previous two films: The Full Powers and Found guilty 9 .
Source: Internet Movie Database 10
- Hochi Film Awards 2000: best film in foreign language
- BMI Film and TV Awards 2001: BMI Film Music Award for Lennie Niehaus
- Kinema Junpō Awards 2001: best foreign language film
- Mainichi 2001 Film Award : Best Film in a Foreign Language
- Oscars 2001 : Oscar for Best Sound Editing for Alan Robert Murray and Bub Asman
- 2001 Saturn Awards : Best Sci-Fi Feature , Best Actor for Clint Eastwood , Best Direction for Clint Eastwood
- Golden Reel Awards 2001: best sound editing
- Taurus World Stunt Awards 2001: Best aerial work for stuntman Craig Hosking
- Historical inspiration: Cosmos 954
- Howard Hughes, Aim for the Heart , London , IB Tauris , ( ISBN 978-1-84511-902-7 )
- (en) Space Cowboys [ archive ] on the Internet Movie Database
- Space Cowboys [ archive ] on Allociné
Notes and references
- ↑ Like Gravity , Space Cowboys is not a sci-fi movie .
- ↑ a , b and c (in) Space Cowboys [ archive ] – Box Office Mojo , accessed 3 November 2013.
- ↑ (en) Release dates [ archive ] on the Internet Movie Database
- ↑ http://www.rsdoublage.com/film-3502-Space-Cowboys.html [ archive ]
- ↑ http://voxofilm.free.fr/vox_S/space_cowboys.htm [ archive ]
- ↑ a , b and c Trivia [ archive ] – Screenrush .com
- ↑ a , b and c Hughes, op. cit. , p. 151 .
- ↑ Space Cowboys [ archive ] – JP’s box office
- ↑ Hughes, op. cit. , p. 152 .
- ↑ (in) Distinctions [ archive ] on the Internet Movie Database