The Duchess , or The Duchess inQuebec, is aFranco-Italian-British filmdirected bySaul Dibb, released in2008. It is inspired by the biographical book Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire byAmanda Foreman.
Georgiana Spencer married on June 7, 1774 – when she was not 17 – with the wealthy Duke of Devonshire , who only married her to have a male heir. Having only given birth to girls, Georgiana unwillingly accept her husband’s infidelities, to the point of tolerating that her mistress and her illegitimate children live under their roof.
Brilliant in society, she is noted for its extravagance in fashion and its immoderate taste of the game. She adheres to the ideas of the Whig party and falls in love with the MP Charles Gray , future Prime Minister , with whom she will have, in his words , a girl, Eliza , whom the Duke will oblige to be entrusted to Charles Gray’s uncle and aunt.
- Original title: The Duchess
- Director: Saul Dibb
- Scenario: Jeffrey Hatcher and Anders-Thomas Jensen , based on Amanda Foreman’s biography
- Photography: Gyula Pados
- Sets: Michael Carlin
- Costume: Michael O’Connor
- Editing: Masahiro Hirakubo
- Music: Rachel Portman
- Producers: Michael Kuhn , Gabrielle Tana and Andrew Warren
- Production Company: Qwerty Films
- Distribution Company: Pathé
- Country: United Kingdom , France , Italy
- Language: English
- Duration: 110 min
- Exit :
- Keira Knightley (VF: Claire Guyot and VQ: Catherine Sénart ) : Georgiana Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire
- Ralph Fiennes (VF: Bernard Gabay and VQ: Alain Zouvi ) : William Cavendish , 5 th Duke of Devonshire
- Charlotte Rampling (VF: herself and VQ: Johanne Garneau) : Lady Spencer
- Hayley Atwell (VQ: Nadia Paradis) : Elizabeth “Bess” Foster
- Dominic Cooper (VQ: Claude Gagnon ) : Charles Gray
- Aidan McArdle (VQ: Jacques Lussier ) : Richard Brinsley Sheridan
- Emily Jewell : the nanny
- Simon McBurney (VQ: Jacques Lavallée ) : Charles Fox
- Calvin Dean : a servant from Devonshire House
- Hannah Stokely : a housekeeper from Devonshire House
- John Shrapnel : General Gray
- Georgia King : Lady Teazle
Around the film
- You can see in the trailer a photo of Lady Diana showing that she is part of the same lineage as the Duchess. The phrase highlighted, ” There Were three people in her wedding ” ( “There were three people in her marriage”), may as well apply to the Duchess of Devonshire at wedding Diana with Prince Charles who had a relationship with Camilla Shand .
- The film was shot at Chatsworth House Castle , home of the Devonshire dukes .
- 2009 : Oscar for the best costume design
Notes and references
- ↑ ” The Duchess: A feature film by Saul Dibb ” [ archive ] , on Unifrance (accessed August 25, 2017 )