The King’s Gardens ( A Little Chaos ) is a British film, directed by Alan Rickman , released in 2014 1 .
The film was presented for its world premiere at the closing of the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival .
Under the reign of Louis XIV , Sabine de Barra, a landscape woman is assigned by André Le Nôtre the honor of supervising the creation of the outdoor ballroom – the Rocailles grove – for the sumptuous festivities desired by the king in the Gardens of the Palace of Versailles , a task that puts it at the center of the intrigues of the Court.
- Title: A Little Chaos
- French title: Les Jardins du roi
- Director: Alan Rickman
- Screenplay: Alison Deegan , Alan Rickman , Jeremy Brock
- Artistic direction: Kat Law, Sarah Stuart
- Sets: Claire Nia Richards
- Costumes: Joan Bergin
- Makeup: Ivana Primorac
- Cast: Nina Gold, Robert Sterne
- Editing: Nicolas Gaster
- Music: Peter Gregson
- Photography: Ellen Kuras
- His :
- Production Companies: Lionsgate , BBC Films
- Distribution Companies: Lionsgate
- Country of origin: United Kingdom
- Original language: English
- Format: color
- Genre: Drama
- Duration: 116 minutes
- Release dates:
- Canada :( Toronto International Film Festival 2014 )
- United Kingdom :
- France :
- Kate Winslet (VF: Anneliese Fromont ) : Sabine from Barra
- Matthias Schoenaerts (VF: Bernard Gabay ) : André Le Nôtre
- Alan Rickman (VF: Michel Papineschi ) : Louis XIV
- Helen McCrory (VF: Sylvia Bergé ) : Ms. Le Nôtre
- Jennifer Ehle (VF: Anne Rondeleux) : Madame de Montespan
- Stanley Tucci (VF: Bernard Alane ) : Philippe d’Orléans
- Adam James (VF: Vincent de Bouard ) : Mr. de Barra
- Steven Waddington ( Thierry Hancisse ) : Thierry Duras
- Rupert Penry-Jones (VF: Christian Gonon ) : Antoine Lauzun
- Cathy Belton (VF: Catherine Hamilty) : Louise
- Danny Webb ( Claude Aufaure ) : Claude Moulin
- Angus Wright : Rennequin Sualem
- Source and legend : French version ( VF ) on RS Dubbing 2
Matthias Schoenaerts joins the cast in January 2013 3 .
Nominations and selections
- Toronto International Film Festival 2014 : “Gala Presentations” selection and opening film
- If in the film, André Le Nôtre is described as younger than Louis XIV, in reality he was 25 years older than him. The Rocailles grove was also laid out while Le Nôtre was 70 years old. It is for this reason that it is in the film of his son, and not only of the grandson of Pierre Le Nôtre.
- The character of Sabine de Barra was created for the film. The existence at that time of a woman landscape artist unknown, financially independent, to whom Le Nôtre would have entrusted the responsibility to draw the plans of the Rocailles grove (or room Bal) and supervise the execution and realization was only unlikely.
- The Potager du Roi , created by Jean-Baptiste de la Quintinie , director of the Royal Gardens, stretched over nine hectares, while in the film, it seems to have barely a surface of a hundred m 2 .
- At the beginning of the film, Le Nôtre uses English to write his letter Dear, while in France under King Louis XIV, the first language was French.
Notes and references
- ↑ Brochure of BBC films produced in 2014 [ archive ]
- ↑ “French dubbing sheet of the film” [ archive ] on RS Dubbing , accessed March 10, 2015
- ↑ ” Matthias Schoenaerts joins the cast of A Little Chaos ” [ archive ] , on Première ,