The Yang-Tse Gunboat (The Sand Pebbles) is an American war and historical film by Robert Wise, released in 1966 .
In 1926 , in China , the gunboat American San Pablo patrolling the Yangtze Kiang around Changsha , is found in the heart of the first Chinese civil war between the Nationalist forces of Chiang Kai-shek to the Communists .
Around the film
Filming began in Keelung ( Taiwan ) on November 22, 1965, continued from March 1966 in Hong Kong and the indoor scenes were filmed at Fox Studios from June 1966. In total, the filming lasted 7 months whereas only 9 weeks work had originally been planned.
- Original title: The Sand Pebbles
- French title: La Canonnière du Yang-Tse
- Director: Robert Wise
- Scenario: Robert Anderson and Richard McKenna , based on Richard McKenna’s book
- Artistic direction: Boris Leven
- Costumes: Renie
- Director of Photography: Joseph MacDonald
- Music: Jerry Goldsmith
- Production: Robert Wise
- Production and Distribution Company: 20th Century Fox
- Language: English
- Format: Deluxe Colors – Panavision 70 mm 2.20 Stereo sound 6 tracks + 35 mm Scope 2.35 Mono
- Duration: 182 minutes (3 h 02), initially 196 minutes
- Genre: Adventure , War
- Release dates:
- United States :
- France :
- Steve McQueen (VF: Jacques Deschamps ) : Jake Holman
- Candice Bergen : Shirley Eckert
- Lord Richard Attenborough (VF: Jacques Marin ) : Frenchy Burgoyne
- Richard Crenna (VF: Jacques Dacqmine ) : Captain Collins
- Charles Robinson ( VF: Philippe Mareuil ) : Lieutenant Bordelles
- Mako : Po-Han
- Marayat Andriane : p (VF: herself) : Maily
- Larry Gates (VF: Richard Francoeur ) : Jameson
- Simon Oakland (VF: Claude Bertrand ) : Stawski
- Ford Rainey (VF: John Clarieux ) : Harris
- Joe Turkel (VF: Jean-Pierre Duclos ) : Bronson
- Gavin MacLeod (FW: Henry Djanik ) : Crosley
- Richard Loo : Major Chin
- James Hong : Victor Shu
- Barney Phillips : Franks
- Gus Trikonis : Restorff
- Paul Chun ( credited as Paul Chinpae): Cho-jen
- Larry Duran (uncredited): Brawler at Red Kettle Bar
Around the film
- The actress Marayat Andriane had come forward a few years later under the name of Emmanuelle Arsan by writing the series of erotic bestseller Emmanuelle .
- This is the only film in Steve McQueen’s career that has allowed him to be nominated for an Oscar , a reward he will never win.
- The film was shot in Hong Kong and Taiwan . The Keelung River was used for river filming.
- In this film, Steve McQueen is doubled in French by Jacques Deschamps , Jacques Thébault being in Lebanon at the time 1 .
Notes and references
- ↑ Interview with Jacques Thébault , April 2013.