The Red Tent or The Judgment of the Dead (in Russian : Krasnaya Palatka, Krasnaya Palatka ) is a Soviet – Italian film directed by Mikhail Kalatozov , released in 1969 .
The film is inspired by the story of the rescue mission of the polar explorer Umberto Nobile and his crew after the crash of their airship , the Italia , in 1928 .
- Title: The Red Tent
- Video title: The Judgment of the Dead
- Original title: Krasnaya palatka
- Director: Mikhail Kalatozov
- Scenario: Richard L. Adams and Ennio De Concini
- Production: Franco Cristaldi
- Music: Ennio Morricone and Aleksandr Zatsepin
- Photography: Leonid Kalashnikov
- Editing: John Shirley and Peter Zinner
- Country of origin: USSR – Italy
- Format: Colors – 1.66: 1
- Genre: Adventure, drama
- Duration: 121 minutes
- Release dates:
- Italy : December 23, 1969
- France : 22 September 1971
- Sean Connery (VF: Jean-Claude Michel ) : Roald Amundsen
- Claudia Cardinale (VF: Régine Blaess ) : Nurse Valeria
- Hardy Krüger (VF: Roger Rudel ) : Lundborg Airman
- Peter Finch (VF: René Arrieu ) : Umberto Nobile
- Massimo Girotti (VF: Yves Massard ) : Romagna, Rescue Coordinator
- Luigi Vannucchi (VF: Georges Atlas ) : Captain Zappi
- Mario Adorf (VF: André Valmy ) : Biagi, radio operator
- Eduard Martsevich (VF: Serge Lhorca ) : Finn Malmgren , the meteorologist
- Grigoriy Gay (VF: Émile Duard ) : Samoilovich, captain of icebreaker Krassin
- Nikita Mikhalkov : Airman Chuknovsky
- Boris Khmelnitsky (VF: Jacques Thébault ) : Viglieri
- Yuri Vizbor (VF: Claude Bertrand ) : František Běhounek
- Heinz Braun (VF: Serge Nadaud ) : the reporter
- Donatas Banionis (VF: Henri Poirier ) : Mariano
- Leonid Kanevski : Italian radiotelephone operator
- Yuri Nazarov : Anatoly Alekseyev
- Bruno O’Ya : Norwegian radiotelephone operator
- Yuri Solomine : Troyani
Around the film
- In Russia , no one had recognized Sean Connery , who had had his hair dyed unencrypted. The actor was even denied entry into a club.
- Although his name is headlining, Sean Connery has actually spent three weeks on the set, unlike Peter Finch who stayed nine months.
- It was Richard Burton who was first approached to play the role of Umberto Nobile .
- Filming took place in Moscow and Leningrad .
- With a budget of $ 10 million, the film brought in only $ 900,000 in North America .