The Royal Hunt of the Sun is anAmerican-British filmdirected byIrving Lernerand released in1969.
The film is freely inspired by Peter Shaffer’s play of the same name , which recounts part of the life of conqueror Francisco Pizarro and his meeting with the Inca emperor Atahualpa .
The film takes place during the conquest of Peru by the Spanish conquistadors led by Francisco Pizarro from 1532 .
Pizarro enters the Inca empire with a small troop of soldiers and manages to capture his emperor, Atahualpa . Pizarro promises to release him in exchange for a ransom of gold, but later he is torn between his appetite for conquest and his friendship for his prisoner.
- Title: The Royal Hunt of the Sun
- Director: Irving Lerner
- Scenario: Philip Yordan , after Peter Shaffer’s eponym
- Photography: Roger Barlow
- Editing: Bill Lewthwaite and Peter Parasheles
- Music: Marc Wilkinson
- Artistic direction: Eugène Loubié
- Costumes: Anthony Powell
- Country of origin: United States / United Kingdom
- English language
- Release date: 1969
- Robert Shaw : Francisco Pizarro
- Christopher Plummer : Atahualpa
- Nigel Davenport : Hernando de Soto
- Leonard Whiting : The young Martin
- Michael Craig : Estete
- Andrew Keir : Valverde
- James Donald : King Carlos
- William Marlowe : Candia
- Percy Herbert : Diego