The Tunic (original title: The Robe ) is an American peplum directed by Henry Koster , and released in 1953 . He is best known for being the first film exploited in CinemaScopein the history of cinema .
For defying the Emperor Caligula at an auction, Marcellus, a young Roman tribune, is ostracized in Jerusalem. He directs, against his will, the execution of a fanatic of Galileo(the Crucifixion of Jesus of Nazareth ) whose identity he does not know and retrieves in return-pawn the tunic of Christ. Now marked by this relic, he and his slave Demetrius, will convert to the Christian faith. At their own risk.
- Original title: The Robe
- French title: La Tunique
- Director: Henry Koster
- Scenario: Philip Dunne , Gina Kaus adapted from the eponymous novel by Lloyd C. Douglas , published in 1942
- Music: Alfred Newman
- Editing: Barbara McLean
- Costumes: Charles the Mayor , Emile Santiago
- Production and Distribution Company: Twentieth Century Fox
- Language: English
- Format: Colors ( Technicolor )
- Version 35 mm – 2.55: 1 ( Cinemascope ) – Sound 4 stereo magnetic tracks (Western Electric Recording) and mono copies sound 1 optical track
- Inflated version at 70 mm – 2.20: 1 – 6-track stereo sound
- Genre: peplum
- Duration: 135 minutes
- Release dates:
- United States :
- United Kingdom :
- France :
- Richard Burton (VF: André Falcon ) : The tribune Marcellus Gallio
- Jean Simmons (VF: Rolande Forest ) : Diana
- Victor Mature (VF: Jean Martinelli ) : Demetrius
- Michael Rennie (VF: Marc Valbel ) : Pierre
- Dean Jagger ( VF : Maurice Pierrat ) : Justus
- Jay Robinson ( VF : René Bériard ) : The Roman Emperor Caligula
- Richard Boone ( VF : Serge Nadaud ) : Pontius Pilate , Governor of Judea
- Betta St. John : Miriam
- Jeff Morrow ( VF : Marcel Raine ) : Paulus
- Ernest Thesiger ( VF : John of Yd ) : The Roman Emperor Tiberius
- Dawn Addams ( VF : Beatrice Brunel ) : Junia
- Frank Pulaski ( VF : Claude Péran ) : Quintus
- Francis Pierlot ( VF : Paul Ville ) : Dodinius, the astrologer
- Sally Corner ( VF : Henriette Marion ) : Cornelia
- Ford Rainey ( VF : Raymond Loyer ) : The commander of the galley
- Ben Astar ( VF : Pierre Morin ) : Cleandre
- Marc Snow ( VF : Roger Rudel ) : The slave seller
- Torin Thatcher : Senator Gallio
- Donald C. Klune 1 : Jesus of Nazareth (we do not see his face in the film)
And, among the uncredited actors:
- Michael Ansara : Judas
- Sam Gilman : a ship captain
- Rosalind Ivan : Julia
- Jay Novello : Tiro
Awards and Appointments
- The film won 3 Oscars :
- Artistic direction
- Best decorations
- Best costumes
- Oscar nominated for:
- Best Actor ( Richard Burton )
- Best Photography ( Leon Shamroy )
- Best movie ( Henry Koster )
- Golden Globe of the best movie
Around the film
- The film was a huge success at the box office of the United States with over 36 million USD .
- A sequel was shot at the same time as The Tunic : The Gladiators ( Demetrius and the Gladiators ), a film directed by Delmer Daves with Victor Mature in the title role ( 1954 ).
- The Tunic does not hesitate to take liberties with the historical truth: the first Christians did not settle so early in Rome and did not cause “troubles” before the reign of Claude .
- In France, The Tunic came out accompanied in the first part of the short film by Marcel Ichac , New Horizons , technical demonstration of the anamorphic process CinemaScope .
- The film is mentioned in the 224 th of 480 memories quoted by Georges Perec in I remember .
Notes and references
- ↑ Second assistant director.