World Trade Center is adisaster film dramatic Americandirected byOliver Stonebased on theattacks of 11 September 2001inNew York. The cast is composed ofNicolas Cage,Maria Bello,Michael Peña,Maggie GyllenhaalandMichael Shannon.
Filmed at man ‘s height, the film reactivates heroism by paying tribute to survivors and rescuers who risked their lives in toxic fumaroles, where the slightest precautionary principle would invite them to stay away. Twenty people could thus be saved.
September 11, 2001 , in the morning. While the New York City streets are filled with stifling heat, Will Jimeno of the Port Authority Police Department wonders if he will not take a day off to do archery. He finally goes to work and joins Sergeant John McLoughlin , who begins with his colleagues the daily tour of the PAPD.
An alert leads them to the World Trade Center , where McLoughlin and Jimeno enter with 3 other police officers. McLoughlin and Jimeno miraculously survive the collapse of the two towers, but remain trapped under several tons of rubble. Alone and left to themselves, they will support each other tirelessly for twelve hours, talking about their lives, their families, their careers, their hopes, …
On their side, their wives, Donna and Allison, their children and parents, are anxiously awaiting their return. Former Marine Dave Karnes then discovers the two men in the ruins and manages to rescue them, with the help of dozens of firefighters, police and nurses New York.
- Original title: World Trade Center
- Director: Oliver Stone
- Scenario: Andrea Berloff , based on the true story of John McLoughlin , Donna McLoughlin , Will Jimeno and Allison Jimeno
- Photography: Seamus McGarvey
- Music: Craig Armstrong
- Editing: David Brenner and Julie Monroe
- Production: Michael Shamberg , Stacey Sher , Moritz Borman , Debra Hill , Stacey Sher and Oliver Stone
- Production Companies: Paramount Pictures , Double Feature Films , Intermedia Films, Kernos Filmproduktionsgesellschaft & Company
- United States :Paramount Pictures
- France : United International Pictures
- Budget: 63 million $ 1
- Country of origin: United States
- Original language: English
- Genre: Drama , Catastrophe
- Format: Color – 35 mm
- Duration: 129 minutes
- Release dates:
- United States :
- France :
- Nicolas Cage (VF: Dominique Collignon-Maurin ) : Sergeant John McLoughlin
- Maria Bello : Donna McLoughlin
- Connor Paolo (VF: Hervé Grull ) : Steven McLoughlin
- Michael Peña (VF: Philippe Bozo) : Will Jimeno
- Armando Riesco : Antonio Rodrigues
- Jay Hernandez (VF: Emmanuel Garijo ) : Dominick Pezzulo
- Jon Bernthal : Christopher Amoroso (en)
- Nick Damici (in) : Lieutenant Kassimatis
- Jude Ciccolella : Inspector Fields
- Ned Eisenberg (en) : Officer Polnicki
- Nicholas Turturro (VF: Tony Marot) : Officer Colovito
- Danny Nucci (VF: Damien Boisseau ) : Officer Giraldi
- Tyree Michael Simpson: Officer Washington
- Maggie Gyllenhaal ( VF : Chloé Berthier ) : Allison Jimeno
- Donna Murphy : Judy Jonas
- Kimberly Scott : Sergeant King
- Michael Shannon (VF: David Krüger ) : Dave Karnes (en)
- William Mapother : Marine Sergeant Jason Thomas (en)
- Stephen Dorff (VF: Jerome Pauwels ) : Scott Strauss
- Frank Whaley : Chuck Sereika
- Stoney Westmoreland ( VF : Jean-Luc Atlan ) : Paddy McGee
- Brad William Henke : Allison’s brother
- Viola Davis : the mother in the hospital
- John C. McGinley : A Firefighter (uncredited)
Producer Debra Hill finds an article in the press about McLoughlin and Jimeno. Very touched, she decides to meet them 2 . John McLoughlin, Will Jimeno and their wives will then be involved in the writing of the film.
Oliver Stone spoke at length with Sergeant John McLoughlin about actors who could portray him on the big screen. Mel Gibson , George Clooney or Harrison Ford are then mentioned, but Nicolas Cage proves to be the best choice for the entire team 2 .
“We got for each role the comedian who figured at the top of our lists, because all the actors had a deep respect for the subject and wanted to be associated with it 2 . “
– Michael Shamberg, producer
Some real police and firefighters appear in the film, sometimes in their own role 2 . The “real” McLoughlin and Jimeno appear during the barbecue scene.
The film was shot from October 19, 2005 to February 10, 2006.
For more realism, 1 / 16 of the World Trade Center has been reproduced in Playa Vista in California , in a former warehouse of the company Hughes Aircraft 2 . The film was also shot in New Jersey ( Clifton , Glen Rock, Ramsey) California ( Los Angeles , Marina Del Rey ) and of course New York 3 .
|Country or region||Box Office||Box office shutdown date||Number of weeks|
|United States 4||$ 70,278,893 1||4|
|France 5||768,020 entries||4|
|Quebec 6||1,227,190 $ CAN||6|
|Total World||$ 162,970,240 1||–||–|
- Hollywood Film Festival 2006: best Hollywood movie 7
- 2006 National Board of Review Awards: Freedom of Expression Award
- ALMA Awards 2007: best supporting role for Michael Peña
- Artios Awards 2007: best casting of a dramatic film
- Irish Film and Television Awards 2007: Best Photography for Seamus McGarvey
- Golden Reel Awards 2007: better editing of sound effects, better editing of dialogues
- Young Artist Awards 2007: Best Young Actor in a Supporting Role for Connor Paolo
DVD and Collector’s Edition
The DVD was released on December 12, 2006 and the collector’s edition on January 29, 2007.
- DVD 1:
- Comments from Oliver Stone
- Deleted scenes
- DVD 2 (In the collector’s edition)
- The making of World Trade Center
- Common Sacrifice
- Building Ground Zero
- Visual and special effect
- Oliver Stone’s New York
- Q & A with Oliver Stone
- TV spots
- Photo gallery
There is also a Blu-Ray and HD DVD version .
Notes and references
- ↑ a , b and c (en) Budget and box office [ archive ] – Mojo Box Office
- ↑ a , b , c , d and e Secrets of Shooting [ archive ] – Screenrush
- ↑ Filming locations [ archive ] – Internet Movie Database
- ↑ cinoche.com [ archive ]
- ↑ www.allocine.fr [ archive ]
- ↑ ” World Trade Center at the Quebec box office ” [ archive ] , on Cinoche.com .
- ↑ (en) Awards [ archive ] – Internet Movie Database