Contagion is an American – Emirati thriller directed by Steven Soderbergh , released in 2011 .
The rapid progression of a deadly virus kills infected people within days. As the epidemic spreads at high speed, the world’s medical community is trying to find a cure and control the panic that is spreading faster than the virus: people are fighting for survival in a society that is falling apart. Beth Emhoff, Mitch’s wife, returns from a trip to Hong Kong, where she contracted a virus. Epidemiologists identify him as the zero patient .
- French and original title: Contagion
- Director: Steven Soderbergh
- Scenario: Scott Z. Burns
- Producers: Steven Soderbergh , Gregory Jacobs, Michael Shamberg , Stacey Sher and Arnon Milchan
- Executive Producer: Michael Polaire
- Executive Producers: Zakaria Alaoui and Chen On Chu
- Original Music: Cliff Martinez
- Editing: Stephen Mirrione
- Sets: Howard Cummings
- Costumes: Louise Frogley
- Artistic direction: Abdellah Baadil, David Lazan and Simon Dobbin
- Production Companies: Double Feature Films, Media Participant , Imagenation Abu Dhabi FZ, Regency Enterprises and Warner Bros.
- Distribution: Warner Bros.
- Country of Origin: United States , United Arab Emirates
- Original language: English
- Format: color – 1.85: 1
- Budget: 60,000,000 USD 1
- Genre: thriller
- Duration: 110 minutes
- Release dates:
- United States :
- France :
- Matt Damon (VF: Damien Boisseau and VQ: Gilbert Lachance ) : Mitch Emhoff
- Kate Winslet (VF: Armelle Gallaud and VQ: Camille Cyr-Desmarais ) : Dr. Erin Mears
- Marion Cotillard (VF and VQ: herself) : Dr. Leonora Orantes
- Gwyneth Paltrow (VF: Barbara Kelsch and VQ: Isabelle Leyrolles ) : Beth Emhoff
- Jude Law (VF: Jean-Pierre Michael and VQ: Martin Watier ) : Alan Krumwiede
- Laurence Fishburne (VF: Paul Borne and VQ: Patrick Chouinard) : Dr. Ellis Cheever
- Jennifer Ehle (VF: Anne Rondeleux and VQ: Mélanie Laberge ) : Dr. Ally Hextall
- John Hawkes (VF: Jean-Michel Party and VQ: Alain Zouvi ) : Roger
- Elliott Gould (VF: Bernard Tiphaine and VQ: Jean-François Blanchard ) : Dr. Ian Sussman
- Sanaa Lathan (VF: Annie Milon ) : Aubrey Cheever
- Bryan Cranston (VF: Serge Biavan and VQ: Daniel Lesourd) : Lyle Haggerty
- Demetri Martin (VF: Sébastien Desjours and VQ: Philippe Martin ) : Dr. David Eisenberg
- Monique Gabriela Curnen (VF: Vanina Pradier and VQ: Catherine Proulx-Lemay ) : Lorraine Vasquez
- Armin Rohde (VF: Peter Wollasch and VQ: Vincent Davy ) : Damian Leopold
- Anna Jacoby-Heron : Jory Emhoff
- Chin Han : Seun Feng
- Soderbergh : Jon Neal ( cameo vocal uncredited 2 )
- Daria Strokous : Irina
- Rebecca Spence :
- Anna Jacoby-Heron :
Legend dubbing : French version (VF) 3 and Quebec version (VQ) 4
Genesis and development
The beginnings of Contagion appear during the previous collaboration between screenwriter Scott Z. Burns and Steven Soderbergh for The Informant! . The duo envisions a time to make a biopic on Leni Riefenstahl , a German actress closely linked to the Nazi propaganda 5 . Steven Soderbergh prefers to abandon the idea, thinking that the film will not interest the public. For his part, Scott Z. Burns is fascinated by the idea of a communicable disease and suggests a thriller about a pandemic situation 5 , 2 .
The writer then contacts the epidemiologist Larry Brilliant , known for his work on the eradication of smallpox , a consultant 5 . He introduces another specialist, W. Ian Lipkin, director of Columbia University ‘s Mailman School . This then enables the production of access to many parts of the World Health Organization 5 . Scott Z. Burns also met the author of The Coming Plague , Laurie Garrett , whose work offers multiple possible intrigues writer 5 . W. Ian Lipkin explains that the film’s virus is getting closer toNipah virus , appeared in Malaysia in 1998 2 .
Distribution of roles
This film marks the sixth collaboration between Steven Soderbergh and Matt Damon , after the Trilogy Ocean (2001-2007), Che, 2 e part: Guerrilla (2008) and The Informant! (2009).
Jennifer Connelly was the first choice to play Beth Emhoff. The role will eventually come back to Gwyneth Paltrow 2 .
The filming begins in Hong Kong in September 2010, including Tsuen Wan , Aberdeen , on the Tsing Ma Bridge to the airport , at the InterContinental Hong Kong or in Tsim Sha Tsui . It continues in Chicago ( O’Hare International Airport , General Jones Armory, Henry Ford Bridge, Midway Airport , …) and several other cities in Illinois ( Western Springs , Naperville , Elgin , Glencoe , Glenview, Wilmette , Skokie , Waukegan and Downers Grove ). it also takes place in Atlanta , San Francisco ( Candlestick Park , Golden Gate Park , City Hall , San Francisco Chronicle offices , …), London (Commercial Street), Casablanca and Geneva 6 , 7 .
The film is shot with Red One MX cameras offering image quality above 4K 8 .
Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
|Checked in||Eastwood Scoring Stage, in theWarner Bros. Studios ofBurbank 9|
|Kind||film music , electronic music|
The music of the film is composed by Cliff Martinez . After working with many other people, the director Steven Soderbergh and found the composer of his debut, with which he signs his 10 th collaboration.
- List of titles
- They’re Calling My Flight – 3:02
- Chrysanthemum Complex – 2:36
- Placebo – 0:25
- Move Away From The Table – 1:49
- The Birds Are Doing That – 1:35
- Get Off The Bus – 2:03
- 100 Doses – 1:46
- Affected Cities – 2:48
- Bad Day To Be A Rhesus Monkey – 2:25
- I’m Sick – 1:29
- Get Us To The Front Of The Line – 2:00
- Do not Tell Anyone – 2:13
- Forsythia – 2:48
- It’s Mutated – 2:22
- Merry Christmas – 1:39
- They Did not Touch Me – 2:02
- There’s Nothing In There – 1:52
- Handshake – 4:16
- Bat & Pig – 2:39
- Contagion – 3:37
Before the release of the movie, Warner Bros. Canada had a very special idea to promote the film. Behind a showcase in Toronto , two petri dishes containing fake bacteria and fake mushrooms were on display. Over the days, these “specimens” gather to form the word contagion and a biohazard symbol , the day of the release of the film 2 , 6 .
Contagion receives mostly positive reviews. The aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 84% of the 97 critics gave a positive opinion on the film, with a good average of 7.2 / 10 10 . The criticism that is the most consensus is “Tender, with a plot line, pushed by a distribution 3 stars, Contagion is an extremely clever and terrifying disaster movie. ” 10 . The Metacritic aggregator scores 70 out of 100 indicating “positive reviews” 11 . In France , the Allocinésitecompiles 30 titles of press, for an average score of 3.2 / 5 12 .
With a budget of more than 60 million dollars (the highest of the director after the Ocean trilogy ), Contagion does not meet a huge success in the World 6 .
|Country or region||Box Office||Box office shutdown date||Number of weeks|
|global||135,458,097 USD 1|
|United States Canada||75,658,097 USD 1||13||14 13|
|la France||686 151 entries||3 14|
The film refers to the 1918 flu , also called “Spanish flu”. Indeed by its virulence and spread the virus staged in the film can recall by aspects of the pandemic of the early xx th century.
The film premise is considered alarmist, but scientists recognize the accuracy and realism of the scenario 15 .
- (In) Official website [ archive ]
- (en) Contagion [ archive ] on the Internet Movie Database
- Contagion [ archive ] on Allociné
Notes and references
- ↑ a , b and c (en) Box office [ archive ] – Mojo Box Office
- ↑ a , b , c , d and e (en) Trivia [ archive ] on the Internet Movie Database
- ↑ “VF dubbing sheet of the film” [ archive ] accessed November 18, 2011
- ↑ “Quebec dubbing Carton” [ archive ] accessed 7 October 2011.
- ↑ a , b , c , d and e (in) Edward Douglas, ” CS Interview: Contagion Writer Scott Z. Burns ” [ archive ] , on ComingSoon.net , (accessedJune 25, 2012 )
- ↑ a , b and c Secrets of filming [ archive ] – Allociné
- ↑ (in) Filming locations [ archive ] on the Internet Movie Database
- ↑ (in) Jim Jannard , ” Contagion ” [ archive ] , Reduser.net,Question: So, when was it said and done, how much of the movie was shot with the MX, and how much with the EPIC, Jim? James Jannard: 100% MX. And Steven called the grade.
- ↑ a and b (in) Cliff Martinez – Contagion (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) [ Archive ] – Discogs
- ↑ a and b (in) ” Contagion (2011) ” [ archive ] , on Rotten Tomatoes .com (accessed September 15, 2011 )
- ↑ (in) ” Contagion ” [ archive ] , on Metacritic (accessed onSeptember 15, 2011 )
- ↑ ” Press reviews ” [ archive ] , on Allociné (consulted on June 11, 2017 )
- ↑ a and b (en) Box office per week [ archive ] – Mojo Box Office
- ↑ Box Office [ archive ] – Screenrush
- ↑ (in) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2048223/Contagion-film-scientists-handle-global-flu-pandemic.html [ archive ]