Exodus: Gods and Kings or Exodus: Gods and Kings inQuebec( Exodus: Gods and Kings ) is anAmerican-Britishpeplum directed byRidley Scott, released in2014.
Director Ridley Scott dedicated the film to his brother, Tony Scott , who died in 2012 1 .
In Ancient Egypt , two princes, Ramses and Moses , are raised as brothers. As Ramses becomes pharaoh of Egypt, Moses learns his belonging to the Hebrew people, enslaved for centuries.
When God asks Moses to release his people, the exodus out of Egypt begins.
- French and original title: Exodus: Gods and Kings
- Québec title: The Exodus: Gods and Kings
- Director: Ridley Scott
- Scenario: Bill Collage , Adam Cooper and Steven Zaillian
- Sets: Arthur Max
- Costumes: Janty Yates
- Photography: Dariusz Wolski
- Music: Alberto Iglesias (additional music by Harry Gregson-Williams )
- Production: Peter Chernin , Dylan Clark , Ridley Scott , Jenno Topping , Michael Schaefer (executive producer)
- Production Companies: Scott Free Productions and Babieka
- Distribution Company: 20th Century Fox
- Country of origin: United States and United Kingdom
- Budget: 140,000,000 $ 2
- Format: color
- Genre: peplum
- Duration: 150 minutes
- Release dates 3 :
- Argentina :
- United States , Canada :
- France :4
- Christian Bale (VF: Philippe Valmont , VQ: Antoine Durand ) : Moses
- Joel Edgerton (VF: Adrien Antoine , VQ: Louis-Philippe Dandenault ) : Ramses
- Aaron Paul (VF: Alexandre Gillet , VQ: Philippe Martin ) : Joshua
- Sigourney Weaver (VF: Sylvie Genty , VQ: Anne Caron ) : Touya , Ramses’ mother
- Ben Kingsley (VF: Feodor Atkine , VQ: Vincent Davy ) : Nun , a Hebrew intellectual
- John Turturro (VF: Dominique Collignon-Maurin , VQ: Denis Mercier ) : Sethi , father of Ramses
- Ben Mendelsohn (VF: Jean-Pierre Michael , VQ: François Godin ) : The Viceroy Hegep
- Golshifteh Farahani (VF: Nathalie Karsenti ) : Nefertari , the wife of Ramses
- Hiam Abbass (VF: Béatrice Delfe ) : Bithiah , the mother of Moses
- Andrew Tarbet (VF: Patrick Bethune ) : Aaron , Moses’ brother
- Tara Fitzgerald (VF: Ivana Coppola ) : Myriam , Moses’ sister
- Isaac Andrews (VF Jules Timmerman; DV: Matis Ross) : Malak, the angel of the Lord (in)
- Gerard Monaco (VF: Laurent Morteau ) : Expert
- Oskan Ariz (VF: Pierre Dourlens , VQ: Jean-Luc Montminy ) : Scribe
- Dar Salim (VF: Luc Boulad) : Commander Khyan
- Kevork Malikyan (VF: Saïd Amadis ) : Jethro
- Indira Varma (VF: Claire Guyot ) : The High Priestess
- Hal Hewetson (VF: Octave Jagora) : Gershom
- Maria Valverde (VF: Julie Cavanna, VQ: Annie Girard) : Zipporah , the wife of Moses
- Ghassan Massoud: the Grand Vizier
- Source and caption : French version (VF) on AlloDoublage 5 and RS Dubbing 6 ; and Quebec Version (VQ) on Doublage Québec 7
The , the website Deadline.com reports that director Ridley Scott wants British actor Christian Bale to play the main role of the film, Moses 8 , which is confirmed on August 13 9 . The same day, Australian actor Joel Edgerton is announced to play the role of Ramses, while production begins in September 2013 10 . On August 27, the American Aaron Paul joined the cast to perform Joshua 11 . Sigourney Weaver , Ben Kingsley and John Turturro are also engaged for the movie 12.
Filming began in September 2013 at the Pinewood Studios in London 13 . In October, production is scheduled to move to Spain , the cities of Pechina and the studios of Almería 14 .
With a more “radical” vision of the Prophet, during a meeting with the press in Los Angeles in September 2014, Christian Bale said, “I believe this man was a schizophrenic in power, and one of the most barbarians whom I have never been able to read the story […] He was a man tormented and tumultuous, who was fighting against God and his call 15 . ” Part of the public criticized the film to be anachronistic , and being composed of white actors for the lead roles and black actors for the slaves 16 .
Choice of actors
The film was controversial in the United States on social networks mainly because of the distribution of roles between whites and blacks, the first being chosen to represent Moses and the entourage of the pharaoh, the latter for the roles of slaves and robbers 19 .
Local adaptation and censorship
The film was momentarily deprogrammed from cinemas in Morocco on December 25, 2014 due to a scene depicting God (in the guise of a young child). After negotiating with Fox and deleting two sound passages referring to God’s voice, the CCM authorized its theatrical release next week 20 .
The film was censored in Egypt the next day 16 and in the United Arab Emirates two days later because of the “historical and religious errors” that film 21 brings .
Notes and references
- ↑ ” Dedication to Tony Scott ” [ archive ]
- ↑ http://www.allocine.fr/film/fichefilm_gen_cfilm=208430.html [ archive ]
- ↑ (en) Release dates [ archive ] on the Internet Movie Database
- ↑ Exodus [ archive ] on Allociné
- ↑ “French dubbing sheet of the film” [ archive ] on AlloDoublage , accessed March 8, 2015.
- ↑ “French dubbing sheet of the film” [ archive ] on RS Dubbing , accessed March 08, 2015
- ↑ “Sheet of dubbing Quebec film” [ archive ] on Doublage Quebec , accessed March 7, 2015
- ↑ (in) Mike Fleming Jr., ” Christian Bale Eyeing Moses? ” [ Archive ] on Deadline , (accessedSeptember 23, 2013 )
- ↑ (in) Jacob Hall, ” Exodus Confirms Christian Bale as Moses, Casting Joel Edgerton as Ramses ” [ archive ] , on Screen Rush , (accessed September 23, 2013 )
- ↑ (in) Dave McNary, ” Joel Edgerton to Battle Christian Bale in ‘Exodus’ ” [ archive ] , Variety, (accessedSeptember 23, 2013 )
- ↑ (in) Justin Kroll, ” Breaking Bad star Aaron Paul Christian Bale Joins Moses in Biblical Drama Exodus ” [ archive ] , Variety, (accessed September 23, 2013 )
- ↑ (in) Mike Fleming Jr., ” Ridley Scott In Exodus Talks With Ben Kingsley, John Turturro, Sigourney Weaver, Aaron Paul ,” [ archive ] on Deadline , (accessed September 23, 2013 )
- ↑ (in) Steve Weintraub, ” Joel Edgerton Talks Felony, Ridley Scott’s Exodus, Jane Got A Gun Production Disorders, His Directorial Debut, and More at TIFF 2013 ” [ archive ] , on Collider , (accessed September 23, 2013 )
- ↑ (in) Nancy Tartaglione, ” Global Showbiz Briefs: ‘Generation War’ It BBC2; Ha Ji-won Signs With UTA; ‘Doctor Who’ Writer; ‘Exodus’ In Spain; More » [ archive ] , on Deadline , (accessed September 23, 2013 )
- ↑ “Exodus: Gods and Kings”: Christian Bale’s Moses is he a “schizophrenic barbarian”? [ archive ] – Metronews , October 26, 2014
- ↑ a and b ” Exodus” by Ridley Scott, banned in Egypt ” [ archive ] , on Le Monde , (accessedDecember 27, 2014 )
- ↑ a and b (in) ” Exodus: Gods and Kings ” [ archive ] on Box Office Mojo (accessed on 9 July 2017 )
- ^ ” Exodus: Gods and Kings ” [ archive ] , on JP’s Box Office (accessed July 22, 2017 )
- ↑ http://www.lemonde.fr/cinema/article/2014/12/26/exodus-interdit-au-maroc_4546450_3476.html [ archive ]
- ↑ http://www.leseco.ma/culture/25080-cinema-exodus-reprogram-in-the-marocaines-salles.html [ archive ]
- ↑ Emmanuelle Jardonnet, Le Monde, 1 st and 2 January 2014, p. 18