El Cid ( El Cid ) is a movie Italo – American 1 , 2 , 3 historical epic directed by Anthony Mann , released in 1961 .
The film tells the romanticized life of Rodrigo Diaz de Bivar , the Cid Campéador and his struggle to conquer, on the Moors, the kingdom of Valencia .
- Original title: El Cid
- French title: Le Cid
- Director: Anthony Mann
- Scenario: Frederic M. Frank , Ben Barzman and Philip Yordan
- Artistic direction: Veniero Colasanti , John Moore (en)
- Sets: Maciek Piotrowski
- Costumes: Veniero Colasanti , John Moore
- Photography: Robert Krasker
- Sound: Jack Solomon
- Editing: Robert Lawrence (en)
- Music: Miklós Rózsa
- Production: Samuel Bronston , Jaime Prades and Michal Waszynski
- Production companies: Samuel Bronston Productions (in) (United States), Dear Film Produzione (Italy)
- Distribution companies: Allied Artists 2 (United States), The Rank Organization 2 (United Kingdom), Prodis 3 (France), Midi Cinéma Location (France) 4 , Paris Nord Distribution (France) 4 , Argos Films (France) 4 , The Grandvilliers Films (France) 4 , Jean-Paul De Vidas (France) 4
- Country of Origin: United States , Italy 1 , 2 , 3
- Formats: Color ( Technicolor ) – 70 mm ( Super Technirama ) – 2.20: 1 and 2.35: 1 – 6-track stereo sound and 4-track stereo for 2.35: 1 copies
- Genre: epic historical movie
- Duration: 184 minutes
- Release dates:
- Italy :
- United States :
- France :
- (en) Classifications CNC : all audiences, Arthouse (operating visa n o 25360 issued)
- Charlton Heston ( VF : Rene Arrieu ) : Rodrigue (The Cid)
- Sophia Loren ( VF : Claude Gensac ) : Chimene
- Raf Vallone ( VF : Jacques Dacqmine ) : Count Ordonez
- Geneviève Page ( VF : Geneviève Page ) : Princess Urraca
- John Fraser ( VF : Hubert Noel ) : King Alfonso
- Gary Raymond : King Sanche
- Hurd Hatfield : Arias
- Massimo Serato ( FW : William Sabatier ) : Fáñez
- Frank Thring : Al Kadir
- Michael Hordern ( VF : Jacques Berlioz ) : Don Diego
- Andrew Cruickshank ( VF : Louis Arbessier ) : Count Gormaz
- Douglas Wilmer ( VF : Jean-Claude Balard ) : Moutamin
- Ralph Truman ( VF : Jean-Henri Chambois ) : King Ferdinand
- Christopher Rhodes ( VF : Georges Atlas ) : Don Martin, champion of the king of Castile
- Herbert Lom ( VF : Paul-Emile Deiber ) : Ben Youssouf
- Carlo Giustini ( VF : Albert Medina ) : Bermudez, companion of the Cid
- Fausto Tozzi : Dolphos
- Tullio Carminati : a priest
- Nerio Bernardi : a soldier
- Barbara Everest : the superior mother
- Roland Ménard : voiceover , narrator VF
The outdoor scenes were shot in Peñiscola (Spain), whose fortifications represented the walls of Valencia . Some scenes were shot in and outside (we see the castle in the distance during the tournament) of Belmonte Castle (Spain). The villagers were enlisted for several days as extras during the shooting.
The great medievalist Ramón Menéndez Pidal was a film advisor for the historical aspects.
The Falcon and The Dove , lyrics by Paul Francis Webster and music by Miklós Rózsa , performed by choirs.
Martin Scorsese , who supported the restoration of the film in 1993, considers Le Cid as one of the greatest epic films ever shot.
- The Cid was nominated for three Oscar in 1962:
- Oscar for Best Artistic Direction : Veniero Colasanti and John Moore
- Oscar for the best film music for Miklós Rózsa
- Oscar for the best original song : The Falcon and The Dove , lyrics by Paul Francis Webster and music by Miklós Rózsa 5
- Anthony Mann has been nominated for the Golden Globe for Best Director .
- Samuel Bronston won the 1962 Special Merit Award.
- Robert Krasker won the 1961 Best Cinematography Award by the British Society of Cinematographers .
- A gesture of song , the Cantar de Mio Cid ( xii th century) to compound 1128 in lines of variable length, published by Tomas Antonio Sánchez to xviii th century ;
- Historia del muy noble ymleroso caballero El Cid Ruy Dias , Lisbon , 1615 ;
- A dramatic epic of Guilhem de Castro , Las Mocedades del Cid ( 1618 );
- A tragicomedy, Le Cid , by Pierre Corneille ( 1636 );
- Robert Southey collected in his Chronicle of the Cid, from Spanish ( London , 1808 , in-4), all that the Romance ones tell about the Spanish hero;
- Reinhart Dozy published in his Research on the History of Spain in the Middle Ages a precious fragment of a Life of the Cid, in Arabic, written in 1109;
- Auguste Creuzé de Lesser translated partly in 1814 the Roman du Cid ;
- Antony Renal in 1842 , and Jean-Joseph Stanislas-Albert Damas-Hinard in 1858, translated it entirely;
- A cartoon, Rody the Little Cid ( 1981 ).
- The armored ghosts will be re-used for the movie The Witch’s Apprentice ( 1971 ), Disney Studios .
Notes and references
- ↑ a and b Source: (in) TCM-Turner Classic Movies [ archive ]
- ↑ a , b , c and d Source: IMDB [ archive ]
- ↑ a , b and c Source: BiFilm Library [ archive ]
- ↑ a , b , c , d and e Source:.fr% 2Fweb% 2Ffr% 2Frechercher-a-work% 3Fp_p_id% 3Dvisaclassification_WAR_visaclassificationportlet% 26p_p_lifecycle% 3D0% 26p_p_state% 3Dmaximized% 26p_p_mode% 3Dview% 26_visaclassification_WAR_visaclassificationportlet_visa% 3D% 26_visaclassification_WAR_visaclassificationportlet_titre% 3DLE% 2BCID% 26_visaclassification_WAR_visaclassificationportlet_realisateur% 3D% 26_visaclassification_WAR_visaclassificationportlet_date_de% 3D% 26_visaclassification_WAR_visaclassificationportlet_date_a% 3D% 26_visaclassification_WAR_visaclassificationportlet_mention% 3D% 26_visaclassification_WAR_visaclassificationportlet_metrage 3DLM%%% 3D% 26_visaclassification_WAR_visaclassificationportlet_orderByCol 26_visaclassification_WAR_visaclassificationportlet_displaySearch 3Dtrue%%% 3D1% 26_visaclassification_WAR_visaclassificationportlet_cur 26_visaclassification_WAR_visaclassificationportlet_delta% 3D20% 26_visaclassification_WAR_visaclassificationportlet_keywords% 3D% 26_visaclassification_WAR_visaclassificationportlet_advancedSearch% 3Dfalse% 26_visaclassification_WAR_visaclassificationportlet_andOperator% 3Dtrue CNC [ archive ]
- ↑ French adaptation by Raymond Mamoudy under the title Pour toi, Chimène . Source: SACEM database .