End of Days ( End of Days ) is a horror movie, action and American fantasy directed by Peter Hyams in 1999 . This film is about the antichrist and the end of the world.
New York, three days before the year 2000. It is during this period of festivities and collective jubilation that the destiny of Jericho Cane rocking: this ex-cop converted into security discovers that the texts of the Apocalypse are on the not to materialize: Satan is in town to take a woman, a mortal who has been consecrated to him since birth. And the fruit of their union will be the instrument of the destruction of humanity. There are only three days left in Cane to avoid the End Times .
- Title: The End Times
- Original title: End of Days
- Director: Peter Hyams
- Assistant Director: William M. Elvin
- Scenario: Andrew W. Marlowe
- Music: John Debney
- Makeup: Gregory Nicotero
- Special effects: Stan Winston
- Sets: Richard Holland
- Director of Photography: Peter Hyams
- Editing: Jeff Gullo , Steven Kemper
- Costumes: Bobbie Mannix
- Producers: Marc Abraham , Thomas A. Bliss
- Distribution: Universal Pictures
- Country: United States
- Language: English
- Genre : Fantasy , Horror , Action , Thriller
- Duration: 124 minutes
- Release date: November 16, 1999 , December 15, 1999
- Forbidden at the age of 16 when released in France
- Arnold Schwarzenegger (VF: Daniel Beretta , VQ: Yves Corbeil ) : Jericho Cane
- Gabriel Byrne (VF: Gabriel Doze , VQ: Luis de Cespedes ) : Satan
- Robin Tunney (VF: Rafael Moutier , VQ Genevieve Angers ) : Christine York
- Kevin Pollak (VF: Denis Boileau, VQ: Mario Desmarais ) : Bobby Chicago
- Rod Steiger (VF: William Sabatier , VQ: Luc Durand ) : Father Kovak
- CCH Pounder (VF: Maïk Darah ) : Detective Margie Francis
- Udo Kier (VF: Bruno Devoldere , VQ: Jean-Luc Montminy ) : Dr. Donald Abel
- Derrick O’Connor : Thomas Aquinas
- Rainer Judd : Christine’s mother
- Miriam Margolyes : Mabel
- Victor Varnado : Albino
- Mark Margolis : the pope
- Marc Lawrence : the old man
- Robert Lesser : Carson
Guillermo del Toro was asked to make the film but he refused like Sam Raimi who, for his part, turned For the love of the game . On the advice of James Cameron , Peter Hyams was retained 1 . The character of Jericho Cane was written for Tom Cruise , who refused to shoot Magnolia while several actresses like Kate Winslet and Liv Tyler were to play Christine York 1 .
- MTV Movie Awards 1999
- Best Actress for Robin Tunney
- Best duet for Arnold Schwarzenegger and Robin Tunney
- Best villain and black suit for Gabriel Byrne
- Best action scene for the restaurant explosion
- Best action scene for the train explosion
The End Times reported 66,889,043 $ recipes at the box office US , which was a commercial failure given its production budget is 100 million 2 , but in foreign countries as the film market the better, since it concerns a total of 145.1 million $ at the international box office 2 , bringing the total worldwide box office at 211 989 043 $ , allowing the film to be beneficial 2. In France, the film totals 1,275,480 entries which, apart from the Sagas Terminator, Expendables, Conan & Predator, is Schwarzenegger’s latest film released in France with more than a million entries
The End Times met with a negative critical welcome in English-speaking countries, garnering 11% favorable opinions on the Rotten Tomatoes website , based on 99 comments collected and an average score of 3.7 / 10 3 and a score of 33 / 100 on the website Metacritic , based on 33 comments collected 4 . In France , the reception is mixed, obtaining an average score of 2.6 / 5 on AlloCiné , based on 14 comments collected 5
Notes and references
- ↑ a and b (in) Directors Special: Peter Hyams Film Goes-By-Film [ archive ] on Empireonline.com , accessed February 25, 2015.
- ↑ a , b and c (in) ” End of Days ” [ archive ] on Box Office Mojo.com , Amazon.com (accessed on 1 st January 2013 ) .
- ↑ (in) ” End of Days ” [ archive ] on Rotten Tomatoes.com , Flixster (accessed on 1 st January 2013 ) .
- ↑ (in) ” End of Days ” [ archive ] , on Metacritic.com , CBS Interactive (accessed on 1 st January 2013 ) .
- ↑ (en) ” ” The End Times “: press reviews ” [ archive ] , on Allocine.fr , Tiger Global (accessed on 1 st January 2013 ).