The Last Wave ( The Last Wave ) is an Australian film directed by Peter Weir , released in 1977 .
David Burton is a corporate lawyer in Sydney . The city is subject to torrential rains, hail and other strange weather phenomena. One day he is appointed to defend five aborigines who have killed a comrade. The lawyer is trying to find out more and understands that this is a tribal murder.
- French title: La Dernière Vague
- Original title: The Last Wave
- Director: Peter Weir
- Scenario: Peter Weir , Tony Morphett and Petru Popescu
- Music: Charles Wain
- Photography: Russell Boyd , assisted by John Seale (cameraman)
- Editing: Max Lemon
- Sets: Goran Warff
- Costumes: Annie Bleakley
- Production: McElroy & McElroy ( Hal McElroy and Jim McElroy )
- Production Companies: The Australian Film Commission, Ayer Productions, Derek Power and McElroy & McElroy
- Distribution: Cinema International Corporation
- Country of origin: Australia
- Budget: AUD 818,000 1
- Format: Colors – 1.85: 1 – Mono – 35 mm
- Genre: fantastic drama
- Duration: 106 minutes
- Release dates 2 :
- France : (Paris Film Festival)
- Australia :
- France :3 ( DVD )
- Richard Chamberlain (VF: Bernard Tiphaine ) : David Burton
- Olivia Hamnett : Annie Burton
- David Gulpilil : Chris Lee
- Frederick Parslow : Rev. Burton
- Vivean Gray : D r . Whitburn
- Nandjiwarra Amagula : Charlie
- Walter Amagula : Gerry Lee
- Roy Bara : Larry
- Cedrick Lalara : Lindsey
- Morris Lalara : Jacko
- Peter Carroll : Michael Zeadler
- Athol Compton : Billy Corman
- Hedley Cullen : The judge
- Michael Duffield : Andrew Potter
- Wallas Eaton : The Medical Examiner
- Jo England : The babysitter
- John Frawley : The Police Inspector
- Jennifer De Greenlaw : Zeadler’s secretary
- Richard Henderson : The prosecutor
- Penny Leach : The teacher
- Merv Lillie : The boss of the pub
- John Meagher : The employee of the morgue
- Guido Rametta : Guido
- Malcolm Robertson : Don Fishburn
- Greg Rowe : Carl, a schoolboy
- Katrina Sedgwick : Sophie Burton, the eldest daughter of Annie and David
- Ingrid Weir : Grace Burton, the youngest daughter of Annie and David
- Tony Llewellyn-Jones : A guest at Andrew Potter’s party
Around the film
- Filming took place in March and April 1977 in Adelaide , Avalon Beach , Bondi , City of Mitcham , Coast, Flinders Ranges , Hammond and Sydney 4 .
- Ingrid Weir, the daughter of the 4-year-old filmmaker, makes a small appearance as Grace Burton.
- Special Jury Prize at the 1978 Avoriaz International Fantastic Film Festival 5 .
- Best Photography and Best Sound (Don Connolly, Greg Bell and Phil Judd) at the Australian Film Institute Awards in 1978.
- Best actor for Richard Chamberlain, during the International Film Festival of Catalonia in 1982.
- Australian Film Institute Awards 1978 : Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, Best Music, Best Editing and Best Actor for Richard Chamberlain.
- Academy of science fiction movies, fantasy and horror 1980 : Best Fantastic Film and Best Director.
- (in) Stephanie Gauper , ” Aborigine spirituality as the grounding theme in the film of Peter Weir ” , The Midwest Quarterly: A Journal of Contemporary Thought , Vol. 42, n o 2, p. 212-227.
- (in) Douglas Keesey , ” Weir (d) Australia: Picnic at Hanging Rock and The Last Wave ” , Reads: Literature Interpretation Theory , vol. 8 No bones 3-4 “Anxieties, fears and phobias” ,, p. 331-346 ( DOI 10.1080 / 10436929808580207 ).
- (in) William D. Routt , ” Are you a fish? Are you a snake? : An Obvious reading and Some notes on The Last Wave ” , Continuum. Journal of Media & Cultural Studies , vol. 8, n o 2 “Critical Multiculturalism” ,, p. 215-231 (DOI 10.1080 / 10304319409365677 ).
- (in) Theodore E. sheckels , ” Fear in Peter Weir’s Australian Movies: A Matter of Control ” , Antipodes , vol. 23, n o 1 “Fear in Australian Literature and Film” ,, p. 75-80 ( read online [ archive ] ).
- (en) The Last Wave [ archive ] on the Internet Movie Database
- The Last Wave [ archive ] on Allociné
Notes and references
- ↑ (en) Business [ archive ] on the Internet Movie Database
- ↑ (en) Release dates [ archive ] on the Internet Movie Database
- ↑ The Last Wave DVD [ Archive ] – Screenrush .com
- ↑ (en) Filming locations [ archive ] on the Internet Movie Database
- ↑ (in) Distinctions [ archive ] on the Internet Movie Database