The submarine of the Apocalypse ( Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea ) is a film American of science fiction , directed by Irwin Allen in 1961 .
The Seaview , a super nuclear research submarine designed by Admiral Harriman Nelson, is undergoing final tests in the Arctic Ocean , under the ice of the North Pole . To oversee these final tests, the submersible welcomes aboard the representatives of the US government : Senator Parker, great destroyer of the project, the D r Hiller, psychiatrist, and Crawford Admiral. While diving, the building suddenly falls victim to an ice collapse and the return to the surface offers the terrifying spectacle of the melting ice under a sky that seems to have ignited. When he finally reaches Washington , Nelson learns that Van Allen’s belt caught fire, “inexorably raising the temperature to make all life impossible. In their race to save the planet, the Admiral and the crew of the Seaview will have to face the attacks of sea monsters, enemy submarines and even a saboteur.
- Original title: Travel to the Bottom of the Sea
- French title: The submarine of the apocalypse
- Director: Irwin Allen
- Scenario: Irwin Allen and Charles Bennett
- Photography: Winton C. Hoch
- Sound: Alfred Bruzlin, Warren B. Delaplain
- Editing: George Boemler and Roland Gross (en)
- Music: Paul Sawtell and Bert Shefter (en)
- Production: Irwin Allen
- Production Company (s): Windsor production Inc.
- Distribution Company (s): Twentieth century fox film corporation
- Duration: 100 minutes
- Release date : (United States)
- Walter Pidgeon : Admiral Harriman Nelson
- Joan Fontaine : D r Susan Hiller
- Barbara Eden : Lieutenant Cathy Connors
- Peter Lorre : Commander Lucius Emery
- Robert Sterling : Captain Lee Crane
- Michael Ansara : Miguel Alvarez
- Frankie Avalon : Danny Romano
- Regis Toomey : D r Jamieson
- Howard McNear (en) : Parker
- Henry Daniell : D r Zucco
- Skip Ward : Crew Member
- Charles Tannen (in) : Gleason
Around the film
- Irwin Allen created and produced a TV series Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea ( Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea ) based on the film. Between September 1964 and September 1968 , 110 episodes, some of which Allen made, will be broadcast on ABC .