Twister or Tornado inQuebecis anAmerican filmdirected byJan de Bont, released in1996.
Jo Harding was still a child when she saw her father swept away by a tornado to F5 category (extremely devastating tornado and powerful). Twenty-seven years later, at the head of a team of meteorologists, she tracks these mysterious bad weather ravaging the American plains. This summer, the weather forecast the most violent tornado that hit Oklahomain thirty years …
- Original title and french: Twister
- Quebec title: Tornado
- Director: Jan de Bont
- Scenario: Michael Crichton and Anne-Marie Martin (en)
- Music: Mark Mancina
- Photography: Jack N. Green
- Editing: Michael Kahn
- Sets: Joseph C. Nemec III
- Costumes: Ellen Mirojnick
- Production: Ian Bryce , Michael Crichton , Kathleen Kennedy , Laurie MacDonald and Steven Spielberg
- Production Companies: Warner Bros. Pictures , Universal Pictures , Amblin Entertainment and Constant Productions
- Distribution: Warner Bros. Entertainment and Universal Pictures
- Budget: $ 92 million
- Country of origin: United States
- Language: English
- Format: Color – 2.35: 1 – DTS / Dolby Digital / SDDS – 35 mm
- Genre: disaster , action , adventure
- Duration: 113 minutes (Blu-ray source)
- Release dates 1 :
- United States :
- UK :
- France and Belgium:
- PG-13 (United States), All Public (France)
- Helen Hunt (VF: Brigitte Berges ) : D r . Jo Harding
- Bill Paxton (VF: Bernard Lanneau ) : Bill Harding
- Cary Elwes (VF: Pierre Tessier ) : D r . Jonas Miller
- Jami Gertz (VF: Françoise Cadol ) : D r . Melissa Reeves
- Philip Seymour Hoffman (VF: Éric Etcheverry ) : Dustin Davis
- Lois Smith (VF: Claude Chantal ) : Meg Greene
- Alan Ruck (VF: Eric Missoffe ) : Robert “Rabbit” Nurick
- Sean Whalen (VF: Ludovic Baugin ) : Allan Sanders
- Scott Thomson (VF: Georges Caudron ) : Jason “Preacher” Rowe
- Todd Field (VF: Thierry Wermuth ) : Tim “Beltzer” Lewis
- Joey Slotnick (VF: Mathias Kozlowski ) : Joey
- Wendle Josepher (VF: Véronique Alycia ) : Haynes
- Jeremy Davies (VF: Lionel Melet ) : Laurence
- Zach Grenier (VF: Bruno Carna ) : Eddie
- Gregory Sporleder : Willie
- Patrick Fischler : the communicator
- Nicholas Sadler (en) : Kubrick
- Ben Weber (en) : Stanley
- Anthony Rapp : Tony
- Eric LaRay Harvey : Eric
- Abraham Benrubi : Bubba
- Melanie Hoopes : Patty
- J. Dean Lindsay : Dean
- Richard Lineback : Mr. Thornton
- Rusty Schwimmer (in) : M me Thornton
- Alexa Vega : Jo Harding Child
- The filming took place in:
- Iowa: Ames , Boone , Eldora , Rippey and Whitten .
- Oklahoma Guthrie , Maysville (in) , Norman , Pauls Valley , Ponca City , Wakita (in) and Waurika .
- Ontario: Bolton .
Around the film
- At the beginning of the film (when the action is supposed to happen in 1969), the weather presenter of the time announces the arrival of a tornado of category F5, but the ranking of the force of the tornadoes on the scale of Fujitawas established in 1971.
- The “Dorothy” machine created in the movie to analyze tornadoes is inspired by a real machine that worked: TOTO , machine invented in 1979 by Dr. Al Bedard & Carl Ramzy. The machine was removed from service in 1987. The names of Toto and Dorothy are references to the main characters in the movie The Wizard of Oz (1939), which features a tornado .
- Some of the scenes are inspired by the Vortex 1 experience .
- A Pratt & Whitney JT3D-7 turbofan was used during filming to recreate blast effects on the structures.
- Twister is the first Hollywood movie to be released on DVD.
- Talula (BT’s Tornado Mix) , performed by Tori Amos
- Motherless Child , performed by Eric Clapton
- Darling Pretty , performed by Mark Knopfler
- Twisted , performed by Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham
- Melancholy Mechanics , performed by Red Hot Chili Peppers
- She Is not Coming Back , performed by Joe Diffie
- Virtual Reality , performed by Rusted Root
- No One Needs to Know , played by Shania Twain
- Child in Time , performed by Deep Purple
- Oklahoma , composed by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II
- Long Way Down , performed by Goo Goo Dolls
- Miss This , performed by Soul Asylum
- Broken , performed by Belly
- See The Sky Again , performed by Edwin McCain
- Humans Being , played by Van Halen
- How , interpreted by Lisa Loeb and Nine Stories
- Moments Like This , performed by Alison Krauss and Union Station
- From Natura Sonoris No. 1 , composed by Krzysztof Penderecki
- Love Affair , performed by Ennio Morricone and kd lang
- Respect The Wind , performed by Van Halen
Awards and Distinctions
- Oscar nomination for best special effects and best sound in 1997.
- Nomination for Best Adventure Film, Best Actor ( Bill Paxton ), Best Actress ( Helen Hunt ) and Best Special Effects at the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films 1997.
Notes and references
- ↑ (in) Twister [ archive ] on the Internet Movie Database