Zulu ( Zulu ) is aBritish war movie directed by Cyril R. Endfield and released in 1964. It traces an episode of the Anglo-Zulu War (1879).
In the aftermath of the Isandhlwana ( Natal ) defeat , a hundred Red Tunics defend Rorke’s Drift , a missionary farm for Reverend Jack Witt, against 4,000 Zulu warriors . In spite of numerous coordinated attacks of the natives, the British soldiers repel the assaults. While they believe the lost battle, they receive a tribute from their enemies hailing their courage and tenacity.
- Original title: Zulu
- French title: Zoulou
- Director: Cyril R. Endfield
- Scenario: Cyril R. Endfield and John Prebble from his series of articles
- Photography: Stephen Dade
- Editing: John Jympson
- Music: John Barry
- Production: Stanley Baker-Diamond and Cyril R. Endfield
- Production Company: Diamond Films
- Distribution Company: Paramount Pictures
- Country: United Kingdom
- Language: English, Zulu
- Budget: US $ 3,500,000 1
- Format: Color (Technicolor) – 35 mm – 2,35: 1 – 4-track stereo sound
- 70mm Copies – 2.20: 1 (Super Technirama 70) – 6-track stereo sound
- Genre: War Movie
- Duration: 138 min.
- Release dates: United Kingdom : 22nd January 1964; France : October 7, 1964
- Stanley Baker (VF: André Valmy ) : Lieutenant John Chard
- Michael Caine (VF: Philippe Mareuil ) : Lieutenant Gonville Broomhead
- Jack Hawkins (VF: Jean-Henri Chambois ) : Reverend Otto Witt
- Ulla Jacobsson (VF: Raymonde Reynard ) : Margaretta Witt
- James Booth (VF: Jacques Dynam ) : Sergeant Henry “Hookie” Hook
- Nigel Green (VF: Claude Bertrand ) : Sergeant Bourne
- Gert Van Den Bergh (VF: Louis Arbessier ) : Adendorff
- Dennis Folbigge (VF: René Bériard ) : Stewardship Captain James Langley Dalton
- Paul Daneman (VF: Henry Djanik ) : Sergeant Maxfield
- Patrick Magee (VF: Maurice Dorléac ) : Surgeon Major James Henry Reynolds
- Joe Powell (VF: Michel Gatineau ) : Sergeant Windridge
- Dickie Owen (VF: Georges Hubert ) : Corporal Frederick “Dutchy” Schiess
- Ivor Emmanuel (VF: Raymond Loyer ) : the soldier of 2 E Owen class
- Neil McCarthy (VF: Jean Clarieux ) : the soldier of 2 E Class John Thomas
- Larry Taylor (VF: Fernand Rauzena ) : Hughes
- Chief Buthelezi : Catewayo
- Richard Burton (VF: André Falcon ) : narrator
Around the film
The site of the amphitheater of Drakensberg , at the foot of which were shot the external scenes of the film
- The film was not shot on the scene of the battle, but farther west, in the more spectacular site of the Drakensberg Amphitheater .
- In 1979, Cyril R. Endfield devoted another film to the events that took place during the Battle of Isandhlwana (the day before the events of Rorke’s Drift): The Ultimate Attack( Zulu Dawn ) with Burt Lancaster and Peter O ‘ Toole .
Notes and references
- ↑ (in) Howard Thompson, ” Stanley Baker, Peripatetic Actor-Producer Genesis Provincial Debut ” New York Times , 1 st September 1963.